Sunday, August 19, 2012

I was Here.

Written on Friday- 17th August, 2012

Today was Wale's funeral. My friend that died in a plane crash. He was 33. It was really sad but hopeful at the same time. Sad because he lived a short life, touched a lot of people and has left a big ache. We all miss him. Everyone does. He was an amazing guy.

Hopeful because as Christians, we do not mourn as though we have no hope. God gives and he takes, and there's the promise of resurrection where we will all meet again.

Losing someone especially a friend at such a young age makes one think. What mark do I want to leave on earth.

Beyonce's song comes to mind. 'I was here' Ever studied the lyrics?
I look at my life and I wonder what people will say when I'm gone. Have I made an impact? Will people have positive things to remember me by? What exactly is my God-given purpose on earth? Am I on the path to fulfilling it?


I wanna leave my footprints on the sands of time
Know there was something that, and something that I left behind
When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets
Leave something to remember, so they won't forget

(Start lyrics)
I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here

I want to say I lived each day, until I die
And know that I meant something in, somebody's life
The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I leave
That I made a difference, and this world will see

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here

I just want them to know
That I gave my all, did my best
Brought someone to happiness
Left this world a little better just because

I was here

I was here
I lived, I loved
I was here
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here
"
(End of lyrics)

At the end of my life, be it short or long, would I have left my mark? Will it be said that I was here, I lived and I loved? What exactly does living a mark means?

Lord teach me to fulfill the path and purpose you have set out for me and May Wale's soul continue to Rest in Peace.

5 comments:

  1. Amen. May we live to fulfill our God-given purpose here on earth. Every day lived is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your friend. Our neighbour also died in that plane crash. May his soul rest in peace. Feel better, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So sorry for your loss.

      Delete
  3. Very sad. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I remember a friend telling me that 'some of us are not meant to live a long time'. That simple line offered me peace.

    I seek to live my best life. Be good to others. Show compassion to the less fortunate. Be a guide for my children on their life journey. Fulfill my life purpose.

    I really enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading from my readers :)