Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 8...... Convictions

Dictionaries say conviction is a fixed or strong belief. Some people say it includes your values, commitments, and motivations.

I once read Howard Hendricks' definition: "A belief is something you will argue about. A conviction is something you will die for!" I think he was right.

I know our convictions determine our conduct. They motivate us to act in certain ways and i am often told that a person without conviction is at the mercy of circumstances because if you don't determine what's important and how you'll live, other people will determine it for you.

Rick Warren says Conviction helps us be diligent in continuing to grow spiritually. Growth requires time and effort. Without convictions about growth, people become discouraged and give up. No one stays with a difficult task unless he is convinced that there is a good reason for doing it.

It is said that the people who have made the greatest impact on this world, for good or evil, were the people with the strongest, deepest convictions. They weren't necessarily the smartest, wealthiest, or best educated people, but their convictions moved them to move the world.

However, what is ironic today is that people often have strong convictions about weak issues (football, fashions, etc.) while having weak convictions about major issues (what is right and what is wrong). Then again, who determines what is weak or strong.

I am still trying to define my convictions, i really have no clue as to if they are fixed convictions that i am willing to die for or just temporary ones i feel are guiding me on this journey. I am confused. How do you know for sure that you have convictions? I guess part of living life is defining what you feel strongly about and what not.
I don't want to be hypocritical and say for sure these are my convictions as i don't know if maybe down the road, i may change my mind....I guess i need to reflect and think deep.

Have you identified your convictions? What do you feel so strongly about?

4 comments:

  1. I had to think about this. What are my convictions? I might not have any...which makes me a little sad lol. I'll think about it and come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my one conviction is life is being open
    giving everyone a chance
    people have labeled it naivety
    but i strongly believe that no matter what every one deserves a chance to prove me wrong....... or right

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to think about my convictions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fully convinced and convicted that there is a God who's son is Jesus and He reigns in the affairs of men!:)
    Now that is one conviction that has shaped my life thus far!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading from my readers :)